December 16, 2019
Kellie M. Spawton
Please be advised OceanFirst has received reports of individuals receiving a text message from acco31sfarg2.com stating: “Visa is temporarily blocked please call 1-800-330-5956.”
This is a “smishing” scam, in which fraudsters send a message to large numbers of individuals via text message in the hopes they will respond. No, that is not a typo, "smishing" is when the fraudster leverages SMS for their phishing campaign.
If you receive this text message:
- Do Not call the number or reply to the text.
- Delete the text message.
If you did call and give out any information:
- Call 888-623-2633, option 3 to speak to the Customer Care Center, or go to your nearest branch.
- We will close your debit card, and open a new one for you.
- Review your account history to ensure there is no fraudulent activity on your account.
- If there is fraudulent activity, don't panic, we’ve got your back! OceanFirst will refund the money to you quickly.