Save a trip to the branch or ATM and deposit checks virtually anytime, anywhere from your mobile phone or tablet. Our secure app protects your information and never stores your check deposit data or images on your mobile device, so you can bank on-the-go and worry-free.
View our step-by-step video tutorial here (coming soon)
How Do I Make A Mobile Deposit?
Q. What do I need to do before I can deposit a check?
A. All you need is the OceanFirst mobile app and a checking or savings account. There is no special sign-up required. If you do not already have the Mobile app, download it for iTunes here and for Google Pay here.
If it is your first time using the app, please note that the username and password you use will be the same set of credentials you use to access online banking. If you have not yet registered to use online or mobile banking, you will need to sign up here.
Q. How do I deposit a check?
A. Simply follow these easy steps:
- Endorse the back of your check and be sure to write “For Mobile Deposit” below your signature.
- Log into the OceanFirst Mobile app.
- Choose “Deposit Checks” in the navigation menu at the bottom of your screen.
- If you have more than one account, select the account your want to deposit your check into.
- Enter the check amount and tap “Front” to take a picture. Tap to the right of the word “Amount” and the keyboard will appear. Please be sure to include all necessary zeros for cents. For example, if you were depositing a twenty-dollar check, you would enter 20.00 instead of 20 (which would represent twenty cents).
- Once you have entered an amount, the camera icon for the front of the check will turn blue.
- Using the “Auto Capture” feature, snap a picture of the front and back of your endorsed check. You can also choose to take your check images manually.
- When snapping a photo of the back of your endorsed check, please be sure to line up your signature and the words “For Mobile Deposit.” The application will guide you. Don’t forget to write the words “For Mobile Deposit” below your signature.
- When your deposit is complete, you will see a confirmation number. You can always locate your deposit confirmation number by searching within your mobile deposit history if you forget to write it down.
Still have questions?
Q. Why should I write “For Mobile Deposit” on a check?
A. It is important to include “For Mobile Deposit” handwritten below your signature in the endorsement area on the back of your check. This will help protect you from fraud and prevent the check from intentionally or accidentally being re-deposited at a bank branch.
Q. Why is my check not being accepted for deposit?
A. If your check photo is unclear, the system may have difficulty reading the information presented on the check. We recommend placing your check on a dark surface that is well lit and is devoid of shadows when you snap your check images. Other scenarios that may affect the processing of your check include
- The check amount is difficult to read
- The check amounts do not match in both places it is presented
- The check is date future-dated
- The check has previously been deposited
Q. How will I know if my check deposit worked?
A. Upon completion you will get an email from service at oceanfirstonline dot com with a subject line that reads: “Receipt from OceanFirst Bank” indicating that the check has been received. Once the check has been reviewed, you will receive a second email notifying you that the check has been approved.
Q. How do I check the status of a deposit?
A. After depositing a check, you can find deposit details and an image of your check by tapping “Check Deposit,” then selecting “History” near the top of the screen. Any checks you have deposited within the last six months will be displayed. After a check has been approved for deposit you will also see it listed as a transaction on the account details screen.
Q. Why would a check not be approved?
A. Generally checks are declined if they are:
- Future dated
- Not endorsed
- Mismatched: The name on the account is not a match to the check payee
- Suspected of fraud
If you have any questions regarding why your check was declined or need assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-888-623-2633, option 3.
Q. When will my check funds be available to me?
A. The time it takes for your mobile deposit to clear will vary depending on when the deposit is made and prior activity. Funds are generally available the next business day.
Checks submitted before 6:30pm Eastern time on a business day:
- Will result in $200 made available the next business day with the remaining funds up to $5,000 available the second business day.
Checks submitted after 6:30 pm or on a non-business day:
- Will be processed the next business day, however we may delay availability if we require further review of the deposit or if you are a new customer.